Thursday, April 12, 2012

More Confusing than Molecular Biology

“Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.”-1 Corinthians 14:19

When I was in high school I took Molecular Biology.  THE MOST CONFUSING CLASS EVER.  Not only was it utterly confusing, but it was also totally boring.  My professor however did not feel the same way about Molecular Biology.  She loved it, she was ever enthused and could not get enough of Molecular Biology.  She was so passionate about it that often she would talk and talk and talk about things that were not on the test and use terminology that was not in the book.  Her excitement super ceded her purpose for being there……which was TO TEACH.  Now granted there were some in the class that did understand and did do well, however a majority of the class (that being about thirty four students out of a class of thirty six) did not do well; in fact the class average with two test down and two to go was a majestic 52%.  Now Molecular Biology could have been boring to me because Molecular Biology is boring; but without proper understanding I will never be able to draw my own conclusion on this matter.  My professors enthusiasm influenced her to speak, think, and lecture on a level that I could not comprehend and therefore all of her knowledge was voided and my ability to decide whether or not Molecular Biology was for me, also was voided.  Now I ask you……Do you know any preachers like my Molecular Biology teacher?
What I have been thinking on this week is the dangers of over intellectual preaching, in short preaching “over the head” of the congregation.  There are people who can connect Moses to Daniel, Daniel to Joseph, Joseph to John and John to Jesus Christ.  They could preach up one theological truth and down the other.  Wow you with enough Bible knowledge that by the time their done, there is no doubt where they spend their time.  However, if you ask the common sinner in the congregation “So, how do you get to heaven?”  They would say, “I have no idea.”  Immediately the bible scholars say, “Well that’s because they don’t have ears to hear.”  Perhaps, however consider this; you don’t have a heart to preach!  I would not begin to say that I know the proper way to preach so that the world will flock to the alter.  However, I know what the Bible says on the matter.  If you go to expound Biblical wisdom and all you say is something that will impress those around you (or behind you).  Then you have missed the boat.  My professor loved to talk about Molecular Biology, more than she loved to TEACH Molecular Biology.  She was more concerned with voicing her knowledge; when in reality she should have been concerned with whether or not we understood her knowledge.  Her enthusiasm was drawn from the love of how much knowledge she had obtained.  She was by far the smartest professor I ever had.  Duke educated, for her Bachelors and Masters; had her doctorate degree and a resume littered with impressive field work.  She published many books and found no need to use the textbook, basically, because she knew the thing by heart.  She was the smartest professor and the dumbest teacher. 
God help us to love the understanding of the sinner, more than the ability to articulate the message; to strive to communicate the gospel and not become encumber with profound oration; to have a heart to do God’s will and be sent by him.
Consider the overly intellectual preacher, I ask you, is this a danger in your church?  If it is how do we identify it?  What can be done to avoid it?  Are we more concerned with voicing our knowledge of the Bible or communicating our knowledge of the Bible?  This is just what God’s been giving me, what has he been giving you?

(Respond and/or Follow…..Please Follow and/or Respond.)
E-mail to pgcollins65@gmail.com
                      

1 comment:

  1. Preach it through the eyes of the sinner
    With a Heart for the Lost.

    ReplyDelete